in conjunction with the and the

Match Report by Grahame Rowley

This page 3 August 2001


Friendly Match, played on Saturday, 28 July, 2001, at 3p.m.


  • 2 mins: Jeremy ILLINGWORTH (Trafford 0 Altrincham 1)
  • 19 mins: Lee POLAND (Trafford 0 Altrincham 2)
  • 54 mins: Lee WILKINSON (Trafford 1 Altrincham 2)
  • 75 mins: Anthony HARGREAVES (Trafford 1 Altrincham 3)
  • 82 mins: Lee POLAND (Trafford 1 Altrincham 4)
    REFEREE: -
    ATTENDANCE: SAM gives crowd as 250.
    28.7.01 TRAFFORD versus. ALTRINCHAM
    3pm - ---. -
    1. Mark MOLYNEAUX 1. Stuart COBURN
    2. Joe QUINN 2. Steve HAWES (capt.)
    3. Matt WRIGHT 3. Chris ADAMS
    4. Darren QUICK 4. Mark MADDOX
    5. Billy McCARTNEY 5. Paul TAYLOR
    6. Bobby JONES 6. Jason GALLAGHER
    7. Joe MURRAY 7. Jeremy ILLINGWORTH
    8. Chris PATTERSON 8. Kevin HULME
    9. Darren EMMETT (capt.) 9. Danny MURPHY
    10. Lee WILKINSON 10. Ian CRANEY
    11. Shaun WHITEHEAD 11. Lee POLAND
    12. -?- ?12. Keith MAIRS
    13. -?- 13. Dale NEWBROOK (gk)
    14. -?- 14. Dave SWANNICK
    15. -?- 15. Gary SCOTT
    16. -?- 16. Anthony HARGREAVES
    17. -?- 17. Mark SERTORI

    The last time Altrincham played a friendly at Shawe View, they lost 4-1. This time the score was reversed in a match which gave Alty fans their first glimpses of new signings Mark Sertori and Kevin Hulme.

    SUMMARY by Grahame Rowley
    A competitive game at Shawe View saw Altrincham dominate the proceedings and deservedly come out 4-1 victors. New signings Kevin Hulme and Mark Sertori both made their debuts for the Robins but looked short of match fitness.

    MATCH REPORT by Grahame Rowley, with additional information from Stan Riley

    The opening goal came after 80 seconds when a break down the right hand side saw Gallagher cut inside and square the ball to the far post where Illingworth had the easiest of opportunities to fire home. Bobby Jones should have equalised when he was put through on goal but an excellent save at his feet by Coburn maintained the Robins' lead. The 19th minute saw Altrincham increase their lead when, again, Gallagher raided down the right and passed inside to Poland. He jinked past three defenders before hammering the ball past Molyneaux in the Trafford net. Altrincham continued to dominate and should have added to their tally when Hulme latched onto a poor clearance. He took the ball forward past two defenders and then slotted the ball through to Poland. His initial shot was blocked on the line and his follow-up shot was saved brilliantly by the keeper, low to his left.

    Lee Wilkinson hit a good volley just wide for Trafford after 25 minutes as the home team started to make a game of it. Darren Emmett and Bobby Jones were working well together down the left wing, giving Steve Hawes (playing at right back) plenty to do. Poland had two further chances to score in the first half. After 34 minutes he received a good ball from Illingworth, rounded the keeper and scored only to see the flag raised for offside and, then, after 39 minutes another Gallagher run saw Jason draw the keeper before playing the ball square for Poland, but this time his effort was blocked.


    Half time saw the introduction of Scott and Swannick, who replaced Hulme and Gallagher. Swannick went to right back, releasing Hawes back to his midfield role. Trafford made four substitions at the break. After 52 minutes, Sertori replaced Maddox in the centre of defence. These substitutions seemed to unsettle the Alty side in the early stages of the second half and it was no surprise when, after 54 minutes, Trafford got a goal back. A fine low cross from Joe Murray on the right zipped across the Alty goal where Lee Wilkinson fired home at the far post. Anthony Hargreaves replaced Murphy after 70 minutes and it only took him 5 minutes to get his name on the score sheet. A left wing cross from Craney was met by a flying far post header from Hargreaves as he made an instant impression. The scoring was wrapped up with another effort from Poland after 82 minutes. Illingworth seemed to have taken the ball too far as he rounded the keeper but he managed to square the ball to Poland who made no mistake. An all-round entertaining game on a beautifully sunny afternoon - what more could one ask for? Encouraging debuts for Hulme and Sertori were added to by the pre-match signing of Lee Poland who showed some lovely touches in a lively performance.


    Copyright: ©
    Compiled by John Laidlar