Cheshire Women's & Youth League, Division Two.
Sunday 6th October 2013


ALTRINCHAM FC LADIES SQUAD: Lizzie, Sam B, Louise, Becki, Nat, Hannah, Heather, Kathrine (Cyprus), Tracey, Cloe A, Gail, Hayley, Beth.


The following report comes courtesy of Phil Taylor.

On a fine, sunny Sunday afternoon we welcomed Warrington Wolverines to Beech Avenue for what was likely to be the sternest test so far for the Ladies.

Injuries and illness robbed us of a number of players, necessitating a late reshuffle and revision of formation. Becci filled in on the right side of defence and Hannah, having driven back from Shrewsbury especially to play, fitted into the midfield.

Following a pre match photo, Warrington kicked off and, sadly, within a couple of minutes another change was forced upon Alty as Gail suffered a knee injury which forced her to withdraw – yet another reshuffle required!

Understandably, Warrington held the ascendancy and, after 16 minutes, took the lead following an attack down their left hand side.

Alty, undaunted, pressed whenever possible, Tracey and Cloe both working hard up front with Cyprus and Natalie providing sterling support from the flanks and, on 23 minutes, following an Alty corner, a header from Hannah led to an own goal and the Ladies were level

The game flowed from end to end and more good play allowed Warrington to regain the lead on 29 minutes.

On the stroke of half time Hannah struck a long range shot which was excellently tipped onto the crossbar by the Warrington keeper, who was clearly in good form. The follow up from Tracey seemed destined to go in but heroic defending prevented this. Warrington immediately broke up field and made it 3-1

Warrington had probably shaded the half but 3-1 might appear a harsh scoreline to a neutral observer.


Some frank and honest discussion at half time saw the Alty Ladies set about the second half with renewed vigour but, sadly, a combination of good movement and accurate delivery allowed a free header from a corner and it was 4-1 to Warrington after 51 minutes.

Continuing to demonstrate the excellent spirit a and camaraderie which has been such a feature of this season, Alty pressed on, Cloe forcing another excellent save from the Warrington keeper before, on 70 minutes Tracey netted to bring the score back to 4-2. Was a comeback on the cards?

Play swept from end to end with both keepers making decent saves and good play from both teams and then, on 86 minutes, Tracey registered for the second time to make it 4-3

Right: Dave from the Blue Dog Bar Altrincham presenting Louise and Hannah with their free drink for having played so well, Tracey Blanchard-Webb was Woman of the match (not pictured) and was presented with a bottle of wine for her performance.

The Alty Ladies then clearly started to believe that what had, at one point, seemed an unlikely comeback was indeed possible. Maybe through overcommitting, maybe through tiredness, however after 88 minutes Warrington scored, somewhat against the run of play to make it 5-3.

Once again Alty heads did not drop and, following some excellent work down the left by Tracey, in the third minute of stoppage time, Natalie headed home.

Sadly, though, time ran out for the Ladies, who suffered their first defeat of the season despite a valiant second half performance.

Tracey was named Player of the Match by Dave from the "Blue Dog Bar", who has kindly agreed to sponsor this award at Alty Ladies' home fixtures this season.

Next up for the Ladies is a home Challenge Cup fixture versus AFC Stockport, next Sunday, October 13th, kick off 2.00pm.