Cheshire Women's & Youth League, Division Two.
Sunday, 16 November, 2014.


ALTRINCHAM FC LADIES: Lizzie Brereton, Heather Scott, Elina Parker, Sam Briggs, Annie Nelson, Gail Simpson, Hannah Shufflebotham, Kathryn McIntyre, Charlotte Dudley, Tracey Blanchard-Webb, Aimee Gibson. Substitutes: Chloe Brereton, Rachael Philip & Emma Booth.


Report courtesy of Phil Taylor.

The Ladies welcomed Heswall Ladies to Mersey Valley Sports Club as they returned to action following a weekend without a fixture.

Altrincham defeated the visitors both home and away last season although both games were very entertaining spectacles.

Alty lined up in a 3-4-3 formation. Lizzie in goal, with a defensive trio made up of Heather, Elina and Sam Annie, Hannah, Gail and Cyprus across midfield and the attacking impetus being offered by Aimee Charlotte and Tracey.

The visitors kicked the game off but, within two minutes, Alty had the lead. A firm shot by Gail was pushed onto the post by the Heswall keeper but Aimee, following up, tucked away the rebound. Gail was in action again three minutes later, this time in defensive mode. A minor error in midfield released a visiting player to run through on goal. Gail pursued her doggedly and held up play until the ball was cleared.

Alty doubled their lead on six minutes when, following a strong run down the right, Charlotte put in a cross which was missed by the visiting keeper but not by Aimee who registered her and the team' second. Altrincham were now demonstrating clear superiority with Aimee proving very troublesome. On eight minutes a strong run down the left by Cyprus released Aimee to the left of the goal, her shot going just wide and, four minutes later, after linking well with the ever industrious Tracey, Aimee got another effort away, this one being saved by the keeper.

The third goal was not long in coming and, when it did, it was well worked. A ball down the Alty right by Aimee was picked up by Tracey who cut inside a defender before executing a precise left footed chip over the goalie and into the back of the net.

Three became four barely a minute later. Another good run down the left by Cyprus, one of many during the game, finished with a measured pass to Aimee who rounded the keeper to register her second hat-trick of the season.

Number five followed shortly afterwards, an excellent cross by Annie from the right being met by the leaping Tracey, who headed home powerfully. The hosts by this point were exerting a stranglehold on the game from front to back. Lizzie was commanding her area, tidying up anything which got near to goal; Heather, Sam and Elina providing a tight defence in front of her.

Hannah and Gail had established total dominance in the centre of the park, which allowed Annie and Cyprus on the flanks to press on and provide service to the three most forward players, who were causing the visitors untold problems.

On the half hour mark Aimee once again turned provider, progressing impressively down the Alty left before delivering a near post ball which was clinically finished by Tracey.

Straight from kick off Hannah regained possession for Altrincham before striding purposefully forward, her impressive shot passing just wide of the target. Having been the provider of much excellent service from the left, Cyprus created a chance for herself shortly after this but her effort was well saved by an increasingly overworked Heswall custodian.

On thirty four minutes Aimee, who was returning from injury made way to be replaced by Emma. Emma’s effect was almost immediate, intercepting a goal kick before setting up Tracey for her fourth and the team’s seventh goal.

Clearly Tracey, who was also returning from injury had the bit between her teeth, striking the outside of the post with a cross on forty-three minutes before delivering a delicious ball to the near post in stoppage time which was skilfully headed home by Emma.

Half-time was therefore reached with Altrincham holding an 8-0 lead.


Although clearly pleased with the performance and the score, Keith reminded the players that, in the away fixture at Heswall last season, we had led 7-0 at half time and only come out 7-1 winners. Hence he wanted no taking the foot off the pedal.

He indicated that there would possibly be more changes during the second half, some to reintroduce players returning from injury or needing game time and some to see how players played in different positions.

Altrincham kicked off the second half, Heswall having changed their goalkeeper during the interval and, within the first minute, a run and shot by Emma had forced a save at the foot of the near post.

Within three minutes of the restart, however, Alty had extended their lead even further, a cross by Tracey being well finished by Charlotte.

Cyprus was continuing to cause all manner of problems to the visiting defence, once again driving forward impressively down the left on fifty minutes before crossing into Hannah whose effort again passed just wide.

The replacement Heswall keeper excelled herself on fifty-four minutes with a fine double save. Firstly, she came out bravely to block an effort by Tracey before quickly getting to her feet to touch away Heather’s goal bound follow up. On fifty-six minutes another player returning from injury, Rachael, joined the fray, replacing Annie who had once again performed superbly on the right flank.

A double figure score was achieved two minutes later with the front three linking effectively. Tracey played in Charlotte, who rounded the keeper before unselfishly squaring the ball for Emma to finish.

At this point Cyprus, who had been outstanding all game, was withdrawn, Aimee returning to take her place. Almost immediately Altrincham had an eleventh, Hannah once again striding forward purposefully but, this time, her firm left-footed effort found the bottom corner.

Emma nearly registered the third hat-trick of the day on sixty-five minutes but her fierce right footed strike just cleared the bar. The tempo of the game understandably dropped a little for a period at this point as the visitors retreated and Altrincham made some more changes. Gail returned in place of Heather and Annie replaced Hannah, also in the centre of the field.

Unfortunately, on eighty minutes, in challenging Charlotte for a ball, Heswall player Jess Gray sustained what seemed quite a nasty ankle injury. John, who had kindly attended to players from both teams all day, was assisted by first team sports therapist Alan Ainsley who had come to watch. Following advice and stabilisation from Alan, Jess was carried from the field to the away dugout where more treatment was given for the remainder of the game. All at Altrincham FC Ladies are extremely grateful to Alan for his invaluable assistance.

During this time there were goals for Altrincham by Tracey, her fifth of the game following a pass from Elina and a first time ball by Chloe, Annie and Emma, who did eventually register the third hat-trick of the day.

So full time was reached with Altrincham recording a Club record 14-0 victory. It had been an impressive performance by every player who had participated and contributed.

The awards for both Players and Management Player of the Match went to Cyprus, who put in an outstanding performance down the left flank although there were a number of contenders. Huge credit must also go to Heswall who, despite being on the end of a heavy defeat, continued to try to play football the “right” way right until the final whistle.

We wish Jess Gray a swift recovery from her injury.

Next up for the Ladies is a trip to Runcorn next Sunday, November 23rd.