North West Women's Regional League Divison One South match

Sunday, 18 September 2016


See report, below...


Report courtesy of Phil Taylor.

The Ladies welcomed a newly promoted Egerton side to Mersey Valley.

Altrincham lined up in a 4-1-4-1 formation. Lucy S, Kye, Bliss and Louise made up the back four with Anna operating just in front. Jess, Paloma, Laura Dodds and Megan were the midfield four and Kate operated up front.

On a warm and sunny afternoon Alty kicked off, however the visitors soon gained possession and Jess had to show commendable pace to cover well. This was merely a blip, though, and Altrincham were soon on the offensive, Kate threading a ball through for Jess who was just beaten to it by the advancing Egerton keeper.

Jess then applied impressive pressure at the attacking end of the pitch to keep the ball in play and recycle possession, however nothing tangible came of it. Although applying pressure, Altrincham seemed to be finding it difficult to settle into their normal slick passing rhythm.

On five minutes, Jess again showed exemplary commitment to win the ball and set up Kate whose firm shot was well saved. Kye then advanced purposefully up the left, putting in an impressive cross for Kate. Unfortunately, her header was just off target.

On eight minutes Anna provided an excellent pass to Jess whose good shot was pushed away for a corner by the impressive Egerton keeper. The corner was delivered to the back post where Anna was just unable to capitalise on it. Anna had another attempt to open her Altrincham account less than a minute later but her shot from fully thirty yards went narrowly over the crossbar.

Altrincham had by now seized the initiative and just short of the quarter hour, Kate controlled a through ball before trying to set up Jess. The ball, sadly, was just too powerful for a stretching Jess to get a meaningful touch to. Altrincham continued to press, with shots by Laura Dodds passing just wide and by Louise bringing an excellent sprawling save from the visiting custodian.

It was, therefore, somewhat against the run of play when Egerton took the lead. A ball was played into the Altrincham area and, in trying to claim it, Lizzie lost her footing and clattered into an opponent, a penalty the obvious outcome. Despite going the right way and getting hands to the ball, Lizzie was unable to keep it out and Egerton had a one-goal lead.

Stung by this, Alty immediately set about trying to regain parity. Laura Dodds having a shot saved on thirty-three minutes and Paloma testing the keeper on thirty-seven. On thirty-eight minutes Jess comprehensively defeated her full back before delivering a cross into the box where it was handled by a defender. Again a penalty the outcome.

Laura Dodds took responsibility for the kick but her kick was splendidly saved by the Egerton keeper who quickly regained her feet to save Paloma’s follow up. In the first minute of stoppage time and again in the third Megan shot narrowly wide of the target after good set up play.

Half Time was reached with the score Altrincham FC Ladies 0 Egerton 1.


It had been a strange half; although Altrincham had been in the ascendancy for virtually the whole half, they had not quite “clicked”.

Dave and Keith highlighted that with a slight tightening up in certain areas of the performance. This was a game which was still eminently winnable. With a few suggestions taken on board the players returned to the pitch.

Egerton kicked off the second half but it was Alty who were immediately on the front foot. Four minutes in a ball down the Alty right freed Kate whose shot again passed narrowly over. On fifty-four minutes the hosts made a double substitution, Georgia and Laura Kelly replacing Jess and Paloma.

Jess had been the epitome of industry up and down the right flank and had caused her full back a number of significant issues whilst Paloma had probed from midfield demonstrating her excellent range of passing. With the substitutions Megan moved to the right flank, Georgia taking up the left side berth and Laura Kelly joined Kate in attack.

Georgia almost made an immediate impact, her magnificent cross being headed narrowly wide by Kate. Altrincham gained a deserved equaliser just short of the hour. Anna was fouled some twenty yards from goal and Kate stepped up to drift the ball over the keeper and into the net.

Egerton, seemingly changing from their “what we have we hold” philosophy launched an immediate attack and Bliss was called upon to put in a very impressive tackle to stop them. On sixty-one minutes Alty took the lead. Lizzie superbly claimed a cross before releasing Megan who linked well with Anna before taking the ball around two defenders and driving an unstoppable shot into the far corner of the net.

It really was all Altrincham now and Egerton had no answer to the superior football being played.

On sixty-four minutes Laura Dodds drove impressively toward the Egerton area, her attempted pass was cleared back to her and her thunderous shot went narrowly wide. An Altrincham corner on sixty-six minutes reached the unmarked Georgia on the back post but her attempted volley was wild and passed harmlessly over the bar.

On seventy minutes Gail replaced Kate who had toiled effectively and productively as a lone striker and given Alty the equaliser they deserved. Two minutes later Laura K picked up the ball on the left flank before driving down the line and across the goal line, eventually shooting powerfully but narrowly wide.

On seventy-three minutes Alty worked a short corner on the left, Georgia’s powerful shot going just wide. The Altrincham third came almost immediately afterwards. Anna played a ball to Gail who, in turn, fed Georgia. As she moved across the area she played an exquisite little through ball to Laura Kelly who took it on a pace or two before despatching it past the keeper and into the net.

The Egerton keeper had to save excellently again with ten minutes to go to prevent an Altrincham fourth. Gail had quickly imposed herself on the game and, having won a great challenge fed Kye who crossed the ball into the danger area. Laura Kelly making an intelligent run across the near post saw her attempt pass just the wrong side of that post.

On eighty-four minutes Megan who had been lively all game was fouled. Laura Dodds lined up the free-kick and the Alty players made their way into the Egerton area. Laura however played the ball sideways to Megan who drove it home from just inside the box.

The game ended with a 4-1 Altrincham win.

Every player had made a significant contribution to the result; the three substitutes having had the desired impact in initially opening up the Egerton defence and then exerting control over the game. The commitment and determination of every player was exemplary and any one of a number could quite easily have won the Player of the Match award. However, it was awarded on this particular occasion to Anna who also collected a similar accolade from her fellow players.

Mention must also be made of our burgeoning fan base with a crowd of around sixty in attendance. Thanks to you all

Next up for the Ladies is a trip to Ellesmere Port next Sunday, kick-off is at 2.00pm.