Click the logo to visit their website.

Match Reports, 2002-03

MARINE "A" (1) 2

NW Youth Alliance Premier League match
played on Tuesday, 6 April, 2003 at 6.15pm.


ALTRINCHAM: 1. Richard HARRISON, 2. Adam DOUTHWAITE, 3. Mark GRIFFITHS, 4. Alex FROST, 5. Greg BYRNE, 6. Paul GLYNN (capt.), 7. Francis EVANS, 8. Jon McEVOY, 9. Stephen LUNT, 10. Joel EKOLONGENI, 11. Josh COLLINS. Subs: 12. Michael BAILEY, 14. Luke KILLEEN, 15. James CARTY, 16. Anthony POTTS, 18. Tom READ (gk).


This report is based on information kindly supplied by George Heslop.

Altrincham made just one change from last Sunday's winning side, with Michael Bailey replaced by Francis Evans. Michael had taken several hard knocks on Sunday and was therefore rested.

The game was played on a very bobbly surface at Litherland which had not been watered and was therefore very dusty and bobbly. Although Altrincham started quite brightly, Marine were efficiently closing down the man in possession to stifle the visitors' movements. Neverthless, the Altrincham side created two or three openings but these came to nothing due to wayward shooting. After nine minutes Marine took the lead when the Alty defence backed off and a shot from 25 yards found the top right-hand corner of Richard Harrison's net.

Altrincham tried to play a passing game in their own half but the uneven surface made this an unsuccessful ploy, as Marine continued to close down their men well. Altrincham did have another chance when a good cross found Paul Glynn but the Alty captain headed over the bar. Then the Marine keeper came to the edge of his box but his clearance only found Jon McEvoy who, from 10 yards inside the Marine half, lobbed the ball back goalwards only for a defender to clear with a header from under his own crossbar.


At half-time James Carty came on for Josh Collins but Altrincham remained under par with Marine winning many of the 50/50 challenges. After 69 minutes Alty keeper Richard Harrison was unable to gather a long ball from Marine and one of the home players was left with an easy lob into the unguarded net. Altrincham then brought on Luke Killeen for Joel Ekolongeni. Altrincham now began to get some early balls into the opposition penalty area and from one of these the Marine keeper dropped the ball and, after a scramble, Greg Byrne sidefooted it into the net. As one of the officials indicated that there was only one minute of normal time left at this stage, Greg's goal appeared to be no more than a consolation. However, Marine were punished for earlier timewasting and five minutes of added time were played. In the fourth of these, Paul Glynn cut in from right midfield and drove a 25-yarder into the top corner of the net to level the scores. In fact, the game ended with Altrincham again on the attack but time ran out.

Altrincham had been rather sluggish for periods of the game and had found the bobbly surface difficult to play on. However, they showed plenty of character in keeping going to the very end and securing a draw with their two late goals.


Link to Home Page

Copyright: ©
Compiled by John Laidlar